Friday, July 22, 2005

Schapelle Corby Defence: Alas, Again!

I had debated whether I ought to blog anymore on Schapelle Corby’s case because each time I read what’s going on with her defence, I get very depressed and feel sorry for her.

Her legal counsel, Mr Hotshot … eh sorry … I mean, Hotman Paris Hutapea claims to have a mystery witness who will confess to “everything” including placing the 4.1 kg of marijuana in her boogie bag. That most certainly will exonerate Schapelle Corby but of course put that man into hot soup.

Aha, there’s a catch. Hutapea wants the Australian authorities to
grant immunity to the mysterious witness, so that he won’t be prosecuted for illicit drug trading after he confesses.

Two flaws in this arrangement I see is that (1) a criminal drug merchant gets away with legal prosecution by virtue of the unprecedented immunity, and (2) which I believe to be the real issue, anyone, everyone, someone could walk in and say “Hey, I was the one who did it. Please excuse me, I have a 9:30 pm show now to catch. See you guys later.”

Now, Hutapea wants to quit because he feels everyone is giving him the runaround and refusing to cooperate. I wonder who’s been giving everyone the runaround.

No comments:

Post a Comment